Full module replacements
Let’s talk about real, tangible aftermarket N64 analog modules that you can buy or pre-order at the very least. Below lists the different options and any relevant links to the parts. If you message below or directly, I can update this list with your experiences. Please just tell me the tier/rating of the stick and why it is good/trash.
third party C tier and below 2/10 – 7/10 replacements
*Version 1 note: WTFParts.info will list all my confirmed reviews as mentioned in the intro (wtfpart.info). Therefore, unless I have tested the parts/have it on very good authority that the parts are either bad/primo they will be classed as unconfirmed
Optical Aftermarket N64 analog modules:
Hyperkin (Not reviewed)
- https://www.reddit.com/r/n64/comments/b1dtqp/hyperkin_repair_box_replacement_control_stick/ Hyperkin write up.
Sharpshooter (Not reviewed)
- https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65761 Testing
- https://www.retrorgb.com/n64oldskoolstick.html further test with comparison gifs
1upretro (Not reviewed)
Potentiometer Aftermarket N64 analog replacements (I will always class these as 7/10 or below due to how the stick fundamentally works, the only exception being Prostick64)
ZebLabs (CONFIRMED 1/10 – But no review)
- This stick was absolutely horrible to use in Goldeneye, was insanely sensitivity and playing Train (Doing lots of small movements accurately) was a big no go. Got refunded straightway (Great customer service here).
- Maybe could be used for casual play but I wouldn’t….. just avoid.
Repair Parts 3D (Not reviewed)
- I think this is Potentiometer.
Unconfirmed if Optical or Potentiometer (If anyone has any experience with these and whether they or optical or not please post below)
Gam3Gear (Not reviewed)
Hyrule games (Not reviewed)
OTVIP (Not reviewed)
- Required soldering.
eStarland (Not reviewed)
Techexpress (Not reviewed)
- Required soldering.
The Gamesmen (Not reviewed)
Game Gorilla (Not reviewed)
Meme post (Not reviewed)
Gamecube style replacement sticks: 2.x only; 0/10 for main stick play
- https://console5.com/store/replacement-controller-joystick-module-for-n64-gamecube-style-stick-repairbox.html – Hyperkin I think
Third party A-tier: 7/10 and above (Confirmed quality aftermarket N64 analog modules only here)
Steelsticks64 (CONFIRMED 9/10 – 10/10 (Grade A Bowl 97/100))
- Out of stock A LOT, but he is active and making Grade A and Grade B bowls every few months to a year. Subscribe to get notifications when they become available
- Grade A Bowl review: https://www.wtfparts.info/post/steelsticks64-com-grade-a-steel-bowl-review-the-ultimate-name-in-n64-bowl-replacement
- The full enclosures look like they will never be in stock again, however he hasn’t cancelled his waitlist so hope may still be there
Zedlabs Optical stick (CONFIRMED 7/10 – but not reviewed)
- Out of stock, they have confirmed they have no idea when they will be available again)
- I got a ton of my early Goldeneye times using this stick so can confirm it’s legit, however they are out of stock, probably due to the worldwide chip shortage as it uses the optical method of movement recognition.
Input Viewers Kitsch-Bent full Module (CONFIRMED 8.5/10 – Stick/Bowl/Gears (See review for more combinations)):
- Out of stock – Kitsch-Bent parts are still in stock, however this is not.
Prestige P64 stick (Not reviewed – Offline)
- https://prestige-gaming.ca/wave-1-and-wave-2-status/ Have refunded everyone on wait list and are nothing making parts at the moment.
- A recent update in August indicates that they are still active, however the stick is still out of stock
Brewstick64 (Not reviewed)
- A full Steelstick inspired stick made from the ground up. Would love to get hold of one for review as those that have bought them have literally given them sterling reviews. Biinny has stated they will never be mass produced, however he has teased some big news soon (9/12/2021)
- Sells on Etsy and gives shout outs when used or new sticks become available.
- Created with SM64 speedrunning in mind so can probably handle high stress gameplay
Prostick64 (Not reviewed)
- A Potentiometer based mod stick that has multiple modes based on what game you are playing. More about this in ‘The Future’ Section.
- Completely built from the ground up and completely open source
Nomad Stick (Not reviewed)
- A stick that is completely built from the ground up. Uses a custom steel stick, steel bowl and steel gears.
- Completely built from the ground up and will be moving into testing soon hopefully.
ReStick (Not reviewed)
- A traditional, analog design stick with steel stick and bowl.
- Features a innovative ball bearing at the base of the stick.
OEM S tier: 10/10 sexy hot tub live stream confirmed
OEM sticks are the best, by far. Perfectly tuned to the N64 and the games it plays. Therefore, I would make the argument that an 8/10 stick is better than a brand-new 3rd party replacement. So, if you can get one and put the time into researching what to do to secure a great stick, then it’s 100% worth it. Good thing that I have written a guide for it below!
THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE THE NEW SWITCH N64 CONTROLLER RELEASE! The only part of that controller that can be used in old school controllers is the stick, spring and round white plastic part. The bowl is completely incompatible with OG N64 along with the gears.